He is the jack and the master of dramatic field. He is a writer (of both One Act Plays & Full-Length Plays), Director and Actor. Very shortly he will be completing 50 years in this field. Some of the most popular plays that he has staged during his distinguished career particularly from 1977 to 2000 under the banner of Sindhu Kala Kendra are as follows :
1. ‘Yaad Kanda’(Do remember).
2. ‘Suri-a-Saad Kayo’(Gallows summoned me).
3. ‘Hik Ajeeb Dastan’(One strange story)
5. ‘Ram Anjan Banwas Mein Aahe’(Lord Rama is still in the exile).
6. Heeu Piyaso Mhinjo Mun’(My thirsty soul).
Recognition By Way Of Award/ Honours :
• 1st Prize for his play ‘Fana’, as a Writer 1998 (At Jaipur by Rajasthan Sindhi Academy).
• 1st Prize for his play ‘Suri-a-Saad Kayo’, as a Director 1978 (At New Delhi by Akhil Bharat Sindhi Boli Ain Sahit Sabha).
• 1st Prize for his play ‘Hik Ajeeb Daastan’ (Sunder received 1st prize for Direction in 1985, and for Acting in from Akhil Bharat Sindhi Boli Ain Sahit Sabha at Mumbai and New Delhi respectively).
• Appreciation award for his Total Contributions in dramatic and cultural fields, 1999 (At Nagpur by Maharashtra State Sindhi Academy).
Sunder has also received several other honours as an outstanding artiste from Sindhi organisation.
Additional Information :
i) Sunder is also popular and has worked in several popular Hindi Plays and has earned laurel both at local and national level.
ii) He has also successfully tried his pen in poetry and literary criticism.
Sunder Butani is one of the outstanding dramatists of elder generation and earlier comer on stage from Vidharbha region. Another distinct point about Sunder is his multilingual interest. Apart from Sindhi plays, he is also producing & acting in Hindi plays.
His most outstanding plays are: (1) ‘Yaad Kanda’ (2) ‘Suri-a- Saad Kayo’ (3) ‘Hik Ajeeb Dastan’ (4) ‘Heeu Pyaso Muhinjo Mun’. He has received several awards/ laurels from various organisations for his direction, script writing and acting.
Disclaimer: Please note Sindhisangat has uploaded the entire book on the website as per discussion with the Mr Bhagwan Bhagchandani.