Bhagwan established 'Lok Sur' (Folklore) in 1960 with his brother Hiro Chawala and Mohan Chhabria. Its main objective was to promote and preserve Sindhi Culture particularly rich Sindhi folklore. Under its auspices, numerous perfomances have been presented not only in India but also in other parts of world, like UAE, Hong Kong, Singapore etc. Performing Bhagat (Blending of Dance, Song & narration of Folktales) has become speciality of Loksur. Bhagwan & his late brother Hiro have indeed made significant contributions in keepingour traditional folklore alive.
Recognition By Way Of Award/ Honours :
• Kala Vikas Award, 1988 (At Mumbai).
• Prof. Ram Panjwani Memorial Trophy, 1989 ( At Mumbai By Prof. Ram Panjwani Cultural Centre).
• Trophy for significant contributions ( At Gondia, Maharashtra by Akhil Bharat Sindhi Boli in Sahit Sabha).
• ‘Gaurav’ Puraskar, 1996 (At Mumbai by Suvidha Foundation).
• Trophy for significant contribution (At Mumbai by Tips Cassettes Co.)
Additional Information :
i) Chawala has also acted in the following Sindhi plays:
'Dis Paise Ja Rang', (Look! What Money Can Do).
'Talaq’, (Divorce). 'Bahroop' , (Double faced).
'Yaad Kanda', (You will always Remember).
ii) Even though the co-founders Hiro Chawala & Mohan Chhabria are no longer alive, Bhagwan has carried the 'Mission' of preserving Sindhi Culture single handedly.
Disclaimer: Please note Sindhisangat has uploaded the entire book on the website as per discussion with the Mr Bhagwan Bhagchandani.