1. Educationist Shri Kundnani was the Principal of famous Rishi Dayaram Gidumal College at Hyderabad, Sind (Pakistan). Apart from being an ideal teacher, he was deeply concerned about the welfare & physical fitness of the students. Because he himself was a renowned sportsman. He, with the help of some friends established a separate centre for physical fitness for students at Karachi.
2. After partition, he migrated to Mumbai and within a short period established National College with same name as in Hyderabad (Sind), known as ‘R.D. National College’. This was perhaps the first Sindhi College in 1949 having its own building in Bandra, Mumbai and he became its Principal. The college proved boon for the refugee students residing in western suburbs of Mumbai, who were in dire need of educational institution of this kind. Later, in association with Barrister Hotchand Advani, he established “Hyderabad Sind National Collegiate Board”. Under this Board several colleges/ educational institutions have been established. The first amongst them was ‘Kisanchand Chellaram’ College (near Churchgate railway station), in Mumbai. This was followed by Commerce college, Engineering college, and College of Pharmacy, all in Mumbai and Smt. Chandibai college at Ulhasnagar. All the above colleges/ institutions have their own buildings and Shri Kundnani personally supervised the construction work of these buildings.
3. He loved student community dearly and spent several hours with them to understand their problems and interacted with them in a very cordial and friendly manner. He never allowed any good student to drop out for want of payment of fees or books.
Dream unfulfilled :
He was very keen to establish a Medical College under the banner of the aforesaid collegiate board. However this dream remained unfulfilled despite his best effort.
Recognition By Way of Awards/ Honours :
Because of his outstanding contributions in the field of education, he among others received the following prestigious Awards :
• He was presented with a ‘Golden Plate’ by the Govt. of Maharashtra at the specially organised function for the purpose. This honour was conferred on him by the then Minister of Education, Shri Namjoshi.
• The second accolade came when the then Governor of Maharashtra presented him a ‘Gold Medal’ in recognition for his extra ordinary contributions in the field of education.
Additional Information :
i) Shri Kundanani was the first Sindhi student, who passed M.Sc. (Physics) from University of Bombay.
ii) He held several important assignments/ positions in University of Bombay.
iii) Apart from educational institutions for the students, he established a Training College for the teachers in Mumbai.
iv) He expired in November 1992 at the age of 88 years and has left behind him indelible mark in the field education.
An ideal professor and a renowned sportsman. After partition he migrated to Mumbai and established National College at Bandra, and famous K.C. College at Churchgate, Mumbai.
Special quality of his personality was this that he possessed indefatigable energy and an innovative mind, which enable him to start various educational institutions. Dada Jashan Vaswani has rightly described him as a “Light House” in educational arena.
Disclaimer: Please note Sindhisangat has uploaded the entire book on the website as per discussion with the Mr Bhagwan Bhagchandani.