1. A true ‘Karma Yogi’ life & soul of Sindhi journalism for more than 50 years. He started his career with ‘Hindu’ Sindhi Daily in Sind. The newspaper had widest circulation in Sind and had a leaning towards Congress party. The Management of the paper was pure, like gold and never believed in yellow journalism. After partition of the country ‘Hindu’ became ‘Hindustan’ Sindhi Daily and virtually the same Editorial team took over the reins of ‘Hindustan’. Shri Hiranand Karamchand remained its head for almost 25 years. He took the newspaper to greater heights and perhaps the only newspaper, which became household name amongst the Sindhi families and read from page to page with great interest.
2. Shri Hiranand never surrendered to any political pressure and published only the factual pictures of the events etc. He never compromised/ sacrificed his principles. In the process he did hurt the ‘psychophants and ‘self centered’ individuals/ leaders who wanted to use this newspaper as vehicle to secure/ promote their personal interest.
3. He maintained his image. His honesty and integrity were beyond question. One of the rare ‘Diamonds’ in Sindhi community.
Gandhian Influence :
1. Right from young age he came under the ‘influence’ of Mahatma Gandhi, and acquired quite a few attributes, like simple living, high thinking, minimum needs and went through several hardship by sacrificing ‘comforts’ in life.
2. He was also considered to be the ‘messiah’ of down trodden and out of his meager salary of Rs.125/- in those days, he contributed Rs.75/- for down trodden and managed his household in just Rs.50/- . He was also against the evil of social injustice.
3. His wife Shrimati Kamla also sacrificed all her comforts of life and followed the path of her husband and stood by him.
4. He has left behind indelible mark on ‘journalism’ and even today if you take ‘Hindustan’ in your hands under different Editorial Board, you cannot help escaping Hiranand’s image in the paper.
He expired in October 1975.
Hiranand Karamchand a doyen of post partition Sindhi journalism, Mr. Hiranand a disciple of Gandhiji, was himself an epitome of simplicity, devotion and determination. He had imbibed the virtues of ideal journalism from stalwarts like Sadhu Hiranand and Jethmal Parasram and was himself in ideal journalist for whom service of society was above everything. Rightly called as a “Gentleman Journalist” his objective and balanced editorials in “Hindustan” were remarkable and provided guidance to many.
Disclaimer: Please note Sindhisangat has uploaded the entire book on the website as per discussion with the Mr Bhagwan Bhagchandani.